For those of you who don't know much about Hal, he was the shipboard computer on the spacecraft Discovery One that tried to murder his entire crew when he felt they would interfere with his carrying out his mission in the movie 2001, A Space Odyssey. Here is a clip of him in action.
I wanted my new Hal to hold a Raspberry PI, some environmental sensors, an amplifier and his own speakers, all powered off of a single cell phone wall charger. He would be capable of playing appropriate Hal clips from the movie as well as responding to simple spoken commands. He should also serve as a Thingworx test platform for reporting metrics based off of the sensors I planed to install.
Here is a sentimental moment with Hal on my workbench saying his first words.
It was kind of creepy to hear him speak for the first time.
Here is the completed project now hanging on my cube wall. The prop has now been entirely rebuilt out of wood. He is fastened to the wall cloth with two pins that come out of the back of the unit at a 45 degree angle like a picture frame nail. This allows him to be easily removed for service.
One thing I did not expect was that when he is mounted flush to the wall, his temperature rises until he goes into thermal shutdown. It turns out that the PI generates so much heat that adequate ventilation is required. If there is no way for this heat to escape, the inside of the case can reach temperatures in excess of 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees fahrenheit)! I had to bring him home and install four small legs that make him stand 1/4" back from the wall to allow for proper convection cooling. Now he stays at a cool 44 degrees C (111 degrees F).
Here is a shot of the back and side of the case with callouts for the parts inside. The only sensor I have installed so far was the original light sensor I took from the original polyurethane model I started with. I am adding a sound card (for speech recognition), external temperature sensor and an infra-red proximity sensor next. I will also replace the wire wrapping (the thin red wire nest) with a real cable.
I am planning on publishing the details of how to re-produce this project on Instructables soon along with the software running on the PI.